My paternal grandparents were from India and as an adult I lived there for a couple of years. I would often see barbers giving Indian head massages to their male clients after a haircut as a way to promote hair growth and health.
Head massage is an ancient technique that has played a significant role in India and Pakistan for nearly 4000 years, being passed down through the generations from mother to child.
I adore giving Indian head massages as my clients very often end up so relaxed they are almost asleep at the end of the treatment.
Benefits of Indian Head Massage
In a society that is increasingly stressed Indian head massage can:
- Relieve muscular tension and fatigue
- Reduce the stress placed on bones and joints and improve joint mobility
- Improve the circulation to the head, and shoulders
- Reduce the frequency and severity of headaches
- Help anxiety and depression by elevating the mood
- Promotes clearer thinking by increasing the supply of oxygen to the brain
- Help with insomnia by encouraging the body to rest and relax
- Combat hair loss due to hypertension, serious illness, poor circulation or even the ageing process
- Aid the elimination of accumulated toxins by increasing the lymphatic flow from the head, neck and shoulders
- Stimulate immunity
- Help relieve pain
- Increase flexibility and posture.
What happens in a typical treatment?
Treatments typically last an hour. During this time I do a full client consultation to begin with so I can understand your particular reason for wanting an Indian head massage and tailor the treatment to you.
An Indian head massage can be done seated or lying down, whichever you prefer. I work on areas on the upper back, shoulders, neck, head and face. The massage can be given through clothes.
You can decide whether you would like oil to be used or not. I tend to use an organic, unperfumed grapeseed oil as this is least likely to cause a sensitive reaction.
I work from the Arcturus Clinic in Totnes and can also come to your home or workplace (there may be a charge for fuel depending on distance).